Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Movember in Madrid


Once we finally got our act together and got out of Barcelona, we headed west for the Capital city of Madrid for a few days. On the way, we had one of the most comfortable trains rides of the trip. Spanish railway is wicked! I would say it is almost on par with German and Austrian, and well ahead of overrated Italian rail. While on the train, I attempted to read the newspaper and came across an interesting picture of Uncle Sam, which still amuses me until this day.

When arriving in Madrid Central Station, it felt as though we just arrived by air. The place was massive, even with a forest inside! When we finally made it to our hostel, where we would stay for 3 nights, the Euro Global Youth Hostel. We checked in and relaxed before heading out to get something to eat. It is a small hostel with only about 3 or 4 rooms. I was in a large dorm room with about 5 or 6 bunk beds, while Brent was in a smaller 3 bed room. Small bathroom, small kitchen, but it was nice, and the people were friendly.

As we headed out, I told Brent to direct us to a good place to eat...and that was a mistake. After walking around aimlessly, we ended up across the street from the hostel at the truly Spanish restaurant TGI Friday's. hahah. Having a great night sleep, I was awoken by my gay Brazilian roommates who decided to hit on me and ask if we wanted to go with them. I promptly declined. That day we hit up all the main touristy places such as Bernabau Stadium, where they wanted 80Euro for nosebleed section seats, Gran Via, Plaza Mayor, and Plaza Sol. That night amidst walking around, we stumbled upon two interesting happenings. First, a red carpet event, which ended up being the ATP Womens Tennis Tour, so we hung around and got to see some of the Top Ranked Players, who I must say were very attractive! Secondly, not far away and on the street with the police station, Prostitutes were allllll over the place, which we thought was hilarious. We then made it to a nice little pub to get some food and chill.

The next day was more of the same, but at night Jermaine from the Hostel took a group of us out for a walking tour of some of the old parts of town, then to a sick little Irish Pub where we watched the Football Match and I ate some Sheppards Pie...yummmm!

Madrid was massive and very pretty, but at times felt too big. The weather was brisk, and we were both starting to get colds, so that might have made the impressions not the greatest. Although the last night with the squad from the hostel really turned my opinion and I think I'd like to return. It was also during this time that I abandoned my attempt to go to Morocco, and we decided on heading straight to Lagos, Portugal for sun, and getting healthy.....haha, and for the last days of our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment